• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Ask a Question Thread - READ FIRST POST

Scherzando

scare-TZAN-doe
Best HP EV number for Poison Heal Gliscor? Smogon and Serebii have been switching back and forth between 252 and 244. Somewhere, I think on Smogon's spotlight article, it said just to max out its HP since it'll heal the same amount as if you did 244.
*edit: maybe I should clarify. it said to do 252 in their 6th gen article, while in their 7th it says do 244. which is best, or does it give the same results in terms of Poison Heal recovery amount?

Last edited:

Xenomata

MS Paint Sableye
Best HP EV number for Poison Heal Gliscor? Smogon and Serebii have been switching back and forth between 252 and 244. Somewhere, I think on Smogon's spotlight article, it said just to max out its HP since it'll heal the same amount as if you did 244.
*edit: maybe I should clarify. it said to do 252 in their 6th gen article, while in their 7th it says do 244. which is best, or does it give the same results in terms of Poison Heal recovery amount?

Lets get mathy.

Poison Heal will recover 1/8th of Gliscor's HP at the end of each turn.

Gliscor 1: 244 HP EVs (352 hp at level 100) (181 HP at level 50)
Gliscor 2: 252 HP EVs (354 HP at level 100) (182 HP at level 50)

0.125h is what Gliscor recovers, with H being Gliscor's HP and 0.125 being 1/8 in decimal form. It doesn't matter I tell you any of this, I just wanted the numbers written down so I look smart :p

Gliscor 1: 44 recovered at level 100, 22.625 at level 50
Gliscor 2: 44.25 recovered at level 100, 22.75 at level 50

It completely depends on if the amount recovered rounds up or down, which I'm fairly certain it rounds down, so yeah both Gliscor recover the same amount of HP.
My judgement, it depends on if you want to just full invest in HP or dedicate those extra points to the other defensive stat.

I don't think you can soft reset for those, though I do believe RNG manipulation is possible.

Ah man, I don't even know what that means or how to utilize it.

Last edited:

Scherzando

scare-TZAN-doe
It completely depends on if the amount recovered rounds up or down, which I'm fairly certain it rounds down, so yeah both Gliscor recover the same amount of HP.
My judgement, it depends on if you want to just full invest in HP or dedicate those extra points to the other defensive stat.

Cool, thanks a bunch for the response and info! I'd already EV trained its HP all the way before I read Smogon's new guide, so I had might as well leave it that way.

Edit: my second question was answered, thanks!

Edit again: OKAY NOW THIRD QUESTION. I want to use Venipede in Little Cup as an attacker instead of a hazard setter, kinda along the lines of Carvanha. It's weaker but bulkier; does that help it stand out at all? Could I also run Adamant or will it not affect its attack enough at level 5? I might try to make it bulkier instead, but I'm not familiar enough with LC to figure out the EVs and nature on my own.

Last edited:

Kitt Geekazaru

Infernape Trainer
I have a question. I'm new to advanced breeding, and I've never done anything this complicated, so I wanted to check before I started if my steps would theoretically be correct.
I have a 6IV Ditto, a male Beast Ball xx/xx/31/31/31/31 Bold Vikavolt, and a male Sewaddle with a speed IV of 0. My goal is a Beast Ball Quiet Grubbin with 31/xx/31/31/31/0.
What I think I have to do is breed my vikavolt with ditto until I get a female grubbin with beast ball (getting the correct nature along the way), then breed the quiet female grubbin with the male sewaddle. Grubbin would hold everstone and sewaddle would hold destiny knot (or power anklet?). Hopefully this would eventually get the quiet beast ball grubbin with 0 speed IV and then breed it with the ditto for the rest of the IVs?

Scherzando

scare-TZAN-doe
I have a question. I'm new to advanced breeding, and I've never done anything this complicated, so I wanted to check before I started if my steps would theoretically be correct.
I have a 6IV Ditto, a male Beast Ball xx/xx/31/31/31/31 Bold Vikavolt, and a male Sewaddle with a speed IV of 0. My goal is a Beast Ball Quiet Grubbin with 31/xx/31/31/31/0.
What I think I have to do is breed my vikavolt with ditto until I get a female grubbin with beast ball (getting the correct nature along the way), then breed the quiet female grubbin with the male sewaddle. Grubbin would hold everstone and sewaddle would hold destiny knot (or power anklet?). Hopefully this would eventually get the quiet beast ball grubbin with 0 speed IV and then breed it with the ditto for the rest of the IVs?

Yep, that's correct. Once you get the quiet female Grubbin, you could have her hold the everstone and Sewaddle hold the power anklet to guarantee the 0 speed and then you'd only have to collect one egg. whatever hatches is breedable with the Ditto. I'm a breeding maniac so let me know if you ever have any more questions!

shadowF

Best nature for Alolan Persian?

Xenomata

MS Paint Sableye
Best nature for Alolan Persian?

If you want more power, Modest. If you wanna outspeed things, Timid.

I'd personally pick Timid, though an RU moveset on Smogon tells you to pick Jolly? I'm not sure if that's a mistake or not, since the set doesn't use any physical attacks that rely on Persian-A's attack stat...

McDanger

Moveset advice for Snorlax and Mimikyu please? Also partner advice for them.

Mimiky@ghostum z
adamant
252 attack/4def/252speed
-swords dance
-shadow sneak
-play rough
-shadow claw

Mimiku will almost always get a swords dance off because of its ability allowing it to take a free hit, allowing it to hit super hard. Shadow sneak is really nice priority allowing it to sweep like Scizor plus nail stuff thats faster than it because Mimiku is really soft. Play Rough is a solid stab move and Shadow Claw is for slower stuff that resists Play Rough, ex steels, fires, poisons. Ghostum just allows that major damage, especially if you force a switch with you abillity still up.
Good partners are slow U turn or Volt switch users like Magearna, Landorus Therian, Mega Scizor, or Rotom Wash. Magearna is nice because it counters Greninja who destroys Mimiku, plus baits in steels which it can weaken with Aura Sphere or Hidden Power Fire. Landorus is just Landorus, really potent with its rocks, intimidate ablity and high attack. It can pressure steels and namely other Landoruses that are a problem for Mimiku.

Snorlax@Choice Band/Assault Vest
Adamant
Thick Fat
248hp/252 attack/8sp def
-Return
-Earthquake
-Fire Punch/Fire Blast
-Zen Headbutt/Thunder Punch

Snorlax is more for UU but is a really strong pivot with its high health and defensive stats. Return for stab, Earthquake for coverage for dealing with threats like the Nidos. Fire Punch is for the banded set bit fire blast works better with the assualt vest as even with adamant you will still destroy steels. Zen Headbutt is a nasty surprise for fightings as with a choice band it will almost OHKO, while thunder punch allows you to bait and KO bulky waters like Mantine and Alomamola. Crunch is also an option for dealing with psychics.
Snorlax shines on bulky offensive teams so other mons like that really help. Slowbro is really nice because it can come in on most fightings in the tier that Snorlax baits in and pressures them out with Psyshock. Amoonguss is also good for the same reason but can come in on Virizon. Spore is also huge as well as Amoonguss speed control, an area Snorlax struggles with, while with thick fat Snorlax can easily go in on fire types like Chandelure. Offensively, Snorlax chips away at physical walls so powerhouse sweepers like Haxorus like it. Mega Aerodactyl does as well as it can potentially just outpace everything and sweep on its raw power.

Chuckdy90

How To Use Lunala

I'm posting this hoping to get helpfull suggestions on how to use Lunala in Battle Spot. I have some ideas, but I want to know what everyone else thinks.

Lunala with Sitrus Berry
Ability: Shadow Shield
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Moongeist Beam
- Ice Beam
- Cosmic Power
- Moonlight

I want to make it a special attacking wall.

Cosmic Power is there too boost defenses 1st Turn and Sitrus Berry to recover HP incase it gets hit by an attack first turn

Moonlight to recover HP to stall, and also gains more in Sunlight which I think is good since people use Groudon or Charizard Y

Moongeist Beam for STAB coverage

And Ice Beam as a tech Move, open to other moves as well.

This is Still a rough draft and open to suggestions. PLEASE HELP

shadowF

So I just got the event Midnight Lyranroc, what nature would be best to soft reset for?

Gamingdude2005

Could this team ever work and I don't really have specific builds in mind expect for tsreena

Team
Tsreena
Alohan marowak
Mimikyu
Jolten
Primerina
Garchomp

Edit: I was thinking about competitive. So the marowak has to go? How's tapu fini instead of primerina

Last edited:

MetalSonic

Orderan' Defendan'
Could this team ever work and I don't really have specific builds in mind expect for tsreena

Team
Tsreena
Alohan marowak
Mimikyu
Jolten
Primerina
Garchomp

What format? Just ingame? That team works perfect for ingame. As a competitive team it is a bit lacking in cohesiveness. When you make a team, you have to be sure of "why" it's good. That being said, none of the mons on your team are terrible. The sheer number of different typings and differing roles of the mons on this team can make for a "workable" team for sure! Not incredibly competitive though, but workable and definitely plenty more potential if you're willing to expand past these mons and mons of Alola. If anything, you could prolly afford another ground resist/immune and a steel type. This looks like an Alolan acquired team though so an option would be like, Pelliper over Primarina and maybe Metagross over Marowak. Mons like those would be able to help strengthen your teams defensive synergy.

EDIT: oh hey these Q's went unanswered to ><

Is there a popular competitive set for Silvally?

Well in something like OU, Silvallys main draw lies within its coverage, decent speed, but especially its access to Parting Shot which makes it an excellent pivot to other mons. The typing choice lies within what your team needs, but even then the more popular types ive seen for Silvally are like Electic or Steel. Just types that generally dont have too many weaknesses or have a lot of helpful resistances.

I'm posting this hoping to get helpfull suggestions on how to use Lunala in Battle Spot. I have some ideas, but I want to know what everyone else thinks.

Lunala with Sitrus Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Moongeist Beam
- Ice Beam
- Cosmic Power
- Moonlight

I want to make it a special attacking wall.

Cosmic Power is there too boost defenses 1st Turn and Sitrus Berry to recover HP incase it gets hit by an attack first turn

Moonlight to recover HP to stall, and also gains more in Sunlight which I think is good since people use Groudon or Charizard Y

Moongeist Beam for STAB coverage

And Ice Beam as a tech Move, open to other moves as well.

This is Still a rough draft and open to suggestions. PLEASE HELP

Not too sure about Battle Spot, but a popular set that kind of turns Lunala into a "special attacking wall" would be the Psychium-Z Hypnosis+Calm Mind set. After a Z-Hypnosis and praying it hits, you have a +1 Speed Lunala and after a CM, that's essentially a Quiver Dance boost, but you know, in two turns. ^^

Lunala @ Psychium Z
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hypnosis
- Moongeist Beam
- Focus Blast
- Calm Mind

Here's the one for you, for reference. This one gives Lunala at least the Sp.Def boost as well as giving it opportunity to set up 2 CMs easily so long as the opps asleep for at least one turn and Shadow Shield is intact. The speed boost allows Lunala to plow through speedier teams as well.

Last edited:

MetalSonic

Orderan' Defendan'
Question about ditto: will the imposter ability allow it to transform EVERY time a new poke is sent out by your opponent or do you have to switch it out and use transform again?

Ditto stays the same Pokemon it switched in against for the duration of its time on the field. It does not transform a second time if its already transformed via Imposter.

Scherzando

scare-TZAN-doe
If I EV my Timid Scarf Magneton just enough to outrun base 130s, how many EVs does that leave for another stat? I'm investing 252 def to survive a Jolly Kartana Sacred Sword before it boosts (in case it's sashed or scarfed), and I want to put the rest into sp attack if 252 speed isn't needed too badly.

Rocxidi

The Jim Reaper
Magneton is too slow to outspeed base 130 speed pokemon even with full investment and scarf

The next best thing you can outspeed is weavile with 228 evs

Last edited: