• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

De-evolution?

Its called:
A) B button
B) Soft reset

There's no reason to devolve in Pokemon. If you evolve something you didn't want to you're supposed to live with the consequences. Like... LIFE. o_o

Here's a (hypothetical) scenario:
I want the pokedex data for all 3 Tyrogue evos, but only have one Tyrogue and no Dittos to breed with it when it evolves (either that or I just haven't got enough patience to breed it). I evolve it into Hitmonchan, but now I still need the data for Hitmonlee and Hitmontop. As I said, I can't get a new Tyrogue and nobody will trade me it or one of its other evos; what am I to do?
I know! I'll just devolve Hitmonchan, reevolve it into a different form, devolve it again, and reevolve it into the last one I need data for. Wow, now I can get data for every pokemon related to Tyrogue and I don't even need to trade, clone, or breed!

Murton

Once you were lost.
Wouldn't that be like people de-evolving into monkeys?

*looks at Bush*

Oh wait, that's already happening...

Colliepop

Wonderboy
I think the de-evolution stone would be helpful in de-evolving Waste-O-Time back into a ThatsStupid. You would get it after you beat the gym leader in OhComeOn Town and go back and talk to him at exactly Half Past TerribleIdea.

I want the pokedex data for all 3 Tyrogue evos, but only have one Tyrogue and no Dittos to breed with it when it evolves (either that or I just haven't got enough patience to breed it). I evolve it into Hitmonchan, but now I still need the data for Hitmonlee and Hitmontop. As I said, I can't get a new Tyrogue and nobody will trade me it or one of its other evos; what am I to do?
I know! I'll just devolve Hitmonchan, reevolve it into a different form, devolve it again, and reevolve it into the last one I need data for. Wow, now I can get data for every pokemon related to Tyrogue and I don't even need to trade, clone, or breed!

Fortunately, the Pokemon franchise designs ensures the highest quality in all their games.
Adding a 'de-evolution stone' would taint the idea of high quality gaming. Your hypothetical scenario is a situation involving laziness, for which the player doesn't deserve a complete Pokedex, a lack of two Pokemon the series is yet to see, and I doubt if we will ever see no Ditto in future generations, and thanks to technological advances, we now have WiFi to help us get Pokemon we were unable to obtain for some reason.
The original idea of Pokemon was to trade for the Pokemon you can't get. To share and make friends and to hold hands on top of a rainbow.
A de-evolution stone is a waste of precious space. You can do better than that.

cloudk

hates you.
pokemon used in competitive gaming would be powered up and can use some moves it can't ordinarily if a devolve stone were to be introduced. Eevee is so going to be rigged.

Colliepop

Wonderboy
That I'm not so sure of. I mean it would make it a lot more respectable than it is at the moment, but a few extra moves outside of it's STAB aren't gonna make it an uber or anything.

Krake

Flabebe's Kids
I want the pokedex data for all 3 Tyrogue evos, but only have one Tyrogue and no Dittos to breed with it when it evolves [Then catch one.] (either that or I just haven't got enough patience to breed it [Well that's you're own fault. Besides, before 4th gen, you had to breed to get baby Pokemon (and even then, some Pokes like Munchlax are hard to find in the wild), and in D/P/Pt some of the basic Pokemon can only be obtained from the 1st stage Pokemon that you catch and then breed]). I evolve it into Hitmonchan, but now I still need the data for Hitmonlee and Hitmontop. As I said, I can't get a new Tyrogue and nobody will trade me it or one of its other evos [That's why we have the Wi-fi Centers; put in a reasonable Pokemon, ask for a Tyrouge or any of its evolutions, and wait.]; what am I to do?

Again, it's not Pokemon's fault that you're too damn lazy to get a Pokemon by breeding or trading.

IAmPharos

Yea but waiting for the eggs to hatch are annoying.

I think if they're gonna make us have to breed pokemon, then physical features from both pokemon should be present in the child, then it'd be worth it. Either you choose the features or they pick randomly, so two pokemon will not always produce the same offspring necesarily.

Breed a Moltres with a Rapidash, the baby horse would have wings of fire. It'd be a bit like spore. If they could create a program for blending the images together (and doing it well), that'd be really cool

Trainer Yusuf

VolcaniNO

Jesse GS the II

I was frozen today!

Yeah, God forbid you should have to wait for something.

I think if they're gonna make us have to breed pokemon, then physical features from both pokemon should be present in the child, then it'd be worth it. Either you choose the features or they pick randomly, so two pokemon will not always produce the same offspring necesarily.

Breed a Moltres with a Rapidash, the baby horse would have wings of fire. It'd be a bit like spore. If they could create a program for blending the images together (and doing it well), that'd be really cool

There are currently 493 Pokémon. Multiply that by 493 and you get 243,049 different Pokémon crossbreeds. Do you really think they could cram over 240,000 Pokémon into one game? The idea of the games is to capture and train the monsters, not to make your own.

Bobblefighter

Relic Owner
you know that Porygon2 can devolve? Think about it. it's basically porygon with more polygons. So if Porygon2 uses Sharpen, it turns back into Porygon.

No. 1 Machop Fan

you know that Porygon2 can devolve? Think about it. it's basically porygon with more polygons. So if Porygon2 uses Sharpen, it turns back into Porygon.

On the outside, perhaps, but its advanced programming on the inside will be the same.

IMO, if de-evolution were introduced, I think they'll make it so that Pokémon like Eevee's evolutions cannot de-evolve. I'm thinking that only those who evolved via level-up should be able to de-evolve, as no Eeveelutions come under that category.

Master_of_grass

War Never Changes
evolution is an essential part of pokemon. move sets would be all F'd up if de evolution was introduced

Murton

Once you were lost.
There are currently 493 Pokémon. Multiply that by 493 and you get 243,049 different Pokémon crossbreeds. Do you really think they could cram over 240,000 Pokémon into one game? The idea of the games is to capture and train the monsters, not to make your own.

Wrong. If you have to multiply 493 with 492, because if you breed Ralts with Ralts, you'll get a Ralts.

Do not correct the many contradictions in this, I just want a higher postcount.

Whoa!Buffet!

How would it mess up the movesets? Moves they already know they can keep, and if they miss out on some moves by de-evolving, take them to the heart scale guy.

*facepalm*
Having kids is essentially annoying.
except with pokemon, they don't whine, you don't have to change diapers, and best of all, you don't have to feed them

How would it mess up the movesets? Moves they already know they can keep, and if they miss out on some moves by de-evolving, take them to the heart scale guy.

*facepalm*

He can't, but if you think about it, he devolves.

...But please, don't think about it, it doesn't make sense.

your are aware your just spamming, right?

Ichi

swagswagswagswagswag
I imagine if they did attempt it game-wise, it'd work a lot like how the Digimon games work and would require a whole new spin on how to level them up. It'd require eliminating leveling up the way we would, and it would require a whole new look on the moves we give our Pokemon. As interesting as that sounds, it's completely unrealistic considering how deep a large portion of fans are in things like competitive battling to name one.

Though I prefer the Digimon games over Pokemon so.