• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Requiem: A Tragedy One-Shot Contest!

Praxiteles

Friendly POKéMON.
I am most certainly entering, though I'm not sure how the project will hold up before my massive writer's block. I do have an idea, however, and I have to stick with it to the end. After modifing it unrecognizably, of course, or scrapping it entirely for another. Hoo, boy, I think I'll be running the deadline very fine this time.

This time, I'll do it right or die trying! Surely Lavender Town is a delightful idea.

katiekitten

The Compromise
Bleach? 'Fraid I've only watched about ten episodes, so I'm pretty clueless. xD;

Mario is fine though. xD Absolutely adore Mario Super Party... x3

*gathers people up* Yesh, you must all enter. :3 'Twill be fun!

Ampris

Slip slidin'
Alright, I'm *definitely* entering this one, and will try to not be left scrambling to proofread in the last hour only to end up missing the deadline. >_< But it's probably going to be easier this time, having since the beginning of the contest to work from and not jumping in two weeks from the end. XP

I already have an idea for a tragic Pokemon fic so I'll most likely stick to this fandom, but just for curiosity's sake, how many of the judges are familiar with Star Trek? (TOS, that is.) There's not a huge chance I'd choose to write a fic from Trek over Pokemon right now, but just in case I get too frustrated and want to try my hand at something it'd be nice to have another fandom to fall back on.

Sike Saner

Peace to the Mountain
I already have an idea for a tragic Pokemon fic so I'll most likely stick to this fandom, but just for curiosity's sake, how many of the judges are familiar with Star Trek? (TOS, that is.) There's not a huge chance I'd choose to write a fic from Trek over Pokemon right now, but just in case I get too frustrated and want to try my hand at something it'd be nice to have another fandom to fall back on.

Star Trek? I'm afraid I'm clueless when it comes to that fandom. ^^;

Saffire Persian

Now you see me...
Ampris: I know nothing about Star Trek. Sorry. :(

katiekitten

The Compromise
Me neither, 'mafraid. >.< Apart from a little of next generation. Used to watch that a lot when I was younger. x3 But I've forgotten most of the characters since.

fishyfool

And a nice chianti
Hmm...Perhaps I could partake in this very whim of a contest. Now to ponder if I should do a human tragedy or a Pokemon one...

Kamex

Team Rocket's rockin
Just to clarify and make sure there are no problems, could I get the specific definition of tragedy you're all looking for in this contest? Just wanted to make sure I don't get too far into writing just to find out I'm doing something wrong...

katiekitten

The Compromise
Tragedy... Hmm. It's depressing. The overall tone and mood is sad throughout the piece or at least for a large chunk of it. Some of the best can move you to tears, or convince you to think/do things some way or the other. But even we can't do that yet. xD;

Yeah. Just general misery. Examples being stories written about the death of a loved one, or the horrors of war and the scars it leaves behind - death is most commonly used, referring to it, just after the fact or even during - the loss of a loved one, ectra.

For this contest, we are looking for something vaguely like the above. Try and be as original as possible, (not that you wouldn't be, I wouldn't know- but in referrence to the contest in general) 'cause we don't really want to sit here and read ten fics about a husband/wife dying, although that is a perfectly acceptable theme for tragedy and if we are given it we will read it. Variety is the spice of life, though.

I personally would love to see if anyone could accomplish a tragic story without any death. Although that is probably not possible - I haven't really thought about it yet. xD;

purple_drake

E/GL obsessed
Hey, 'nuther question, just in case my other fic doesn't end up up to scratch: how familiar are you all with the Pokemon Special manga?

Saffire Persian

Now you see me...
Hey, 'nuther question, just in case my other fic doesn't end up up to scratch: how familiar are you all with the Pokemon Special manga?

Nada. But I think I could handle having Pokemon manga characters in it, but that's just me.

Kamex: Tragedy can fall under a number of things. I've seen a lot of movies that start out funny as all heck and then tragic at the very end. Just think: not happy. Romeo and Juliet, despite their undying live for each other, die. Oedipus, even though he starts out as a king, ends up finding out that his wife is his mother and he killed his father, and he gouges his own eyes out in the process--that's tragedy. No happy ending. No one has to die, per say, or gouge their eyes out, but I don't expect things to end the Disney way, kapiche?

Pink Parka Girl

I wish I could change my username
I've got a question about the "recycled material" element. Does the fic have to be completely, 100% original? I have an idea I'd love to do for the contest, but it would involve a character from another fic of mine (reading the other fic, however, is not required in any way, shape or form to understand this work). Is this okay? ^^

Draco Malfoy

-REaction

Any "official" branch of Pokemon is allowed in this contest, as they have in all the other ones. This includes Ranger, Pokemon Special and even Mystery Dugdeon. Don't worry about some judges not knowing what to do- all of us at least understand the main idea of Ranger and Mystery Dudgeon, and for Special, I'll explain who the main characters are, etc. to the Judges who don't understand.

Ho, ho, ho, someone one-star rated this. I'm honoured that someone actually perceives this contest, the judges and I to be a threat. XD

purple_drake

E/GL obsessed
Nada. But I think I could handle having Pokemon manga characters in it, but that's just me.

Any "official" branch of Pokemon is allowed in this contest, as they have in all the other ones. This includes Ranger, Pokemon Special and even Mystery Dugdeon. Don't worry about some judges not knowing what to do- all of us at least understand the main idea of Ranger and Mystery Dudgeon, and for Special, I'll explain who the main characters are, etc. to the Judges who don't understand.

Well, it's not really the characters I'm worried about--the character the story's about has parallels in the anime and games. The problem is more that the character's background and portrayal in the manga is so different to either of those, the story would probably be better understood if you were familiar with it. Hence the question. :p

But, hey, I'm getting ahead of myself--I haven't even decided which fic I'm going to enter yet, I just wanted to make sure I was covering all bases. :p Thanks for the answers, though.

Last edited:

Draco Malfoy

-REaction
Well, it's not really the characters I'm worried about--the character the story's about has parallels in the anime and games. The problem is more that the character's background and portrayal in the manga is so different to either of those, the story would probably be better understood if you were familiar with it. Hence the question. :p

But, hey, I'm getting ahead of myself--I haven't even decided which fic I'm going to enter yet, I just wanted to make sure I was covering all bases. :p Thanks for the answers, though.

I'm familar with Special/Supe. Trust me, a dedicated fan of that series. Don't worry- I'll be sure to be thorough in my explaining about the characters' personalities, portrayal, backgrounds and such. XP

Last edited:

Majora Man

TCG Master
I am definitly entering but just one question. Will the results of the contest be posted on this forums thread here?

Draco Malfoy

-REaction
Majora Man: Yep. Results always have been.

takarifan

A Weaver of Tales
Oooh, cool! I'm going to try and enter this competition, for sure!

Just one questions to all the four judges, is Digimon okay with you?

I have a suggestion though. Just like how MWB said in his above post that he'll explain to Saffire Persian about the Pokemon Special Manga, I think maybe if only three Judges are "familar" with the fandom in question, then it should be allowed, because three is a majority, and the other three judges can help explain to the Fourth Guy/Gal!

Just a lil' suggestion from moi.

Also, I agree with some of the others: I'd love to see you guys write, for each of all are are great authors! So could one of you please write us a mini sample Tragedy Piece? Just to set the mood~

WE CAN'T LET THIS THREAD DIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEEE! xD

Ampris

Slip slidin'
Hey, I just thought of another fandom. What about Super Smash Bros.? Would that be okay? As far as I know there isn't a clear canon regarding those games (I never played the original game and don't know if there was anything in that one, and I'm not counting the new storyline set out by Brawl), so if I wrote a story it'd be mostly new fanon, but the same basic idea would be the same: Nintendo stars together, fighting. (It's hard to change, really. XD)

And for a progress update, I'm fixing to get started with the actual writing of my Pokemon story in the next day or two, hopefully, but I'm feeling inspired so it'll probably work out well. =)

Last edited:

Draco Malfoy

-REaction
takarifan: Mhm, I like your idea about the judges/fandom thing. But I'll only accept it if the other Judges are fine with it. And about Digimon, sure, go ahead. You know I'm a fan. XD And I think Katiekitten is going to write us a Tragedy sample. Not quite sure exactly, but I think she gave us a vague impression she would.

Ampris: Sure, go ahead with SuperSmashBrothers. You have my blessing. XD Ah, I used to play as Kirby on that game all the time.... And I supported Kirby x Jigglypuff. XD XD

Last edited: