• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Cartoons that are way more popular than you think they should be

Golden_Latias

#SlayQueenSlay
All right let me say this now since our fandom always gets made fun of.
One side of our fandom is freaking horrible and crazy.
The other side is AWESOME and smart enough to make 4 really popular RPGs.
Also,we're not dumbasses so we know the difference between an anime and actual world history. -_-"
So before all of you go hating on us,please consider this.
Woah, woah, woah! Nowhere in my post did I bring up the Hetalia fandom! I don't care about a show's fandom, I never judge it on that! Heck, I don't even think Hetalia is a bad anime.

It's just don't think it's as amazing as it's often made out to be, probably because it's just not my cup of tea. That's all I'm saying!

HetaOni

Chesaught
Woah, woah, woah! Nowhere in my post did I bring up the Hetalia fandom! I don't care about a show's fandom, I never judge it on that! Heck, I don't even think Hetalia is a bad anime.

It's just don't think it's as amazing as it's often made out to be, probably because it's just not my cup of tea. That's all I'm saying!
I wasn't really referring to you,sorry I used your post as an example. ^ ^;

empoleon49

Dawn's number 1 fan™
The new Spongebob episode. The series went downhill so fast after Stephen Hillenburg left. Ren and Stimpy. I HATE that show. With passion. And Adventure Time. I REALLY love Adventure Time, ut it is ovverated.

A lot of older shows have adult humor, too. It's not a phenomenon unique to modern cartoons.
Yes, older shows also have adult humour, but at least their main attraction wasn't the adult humour, unlike the shows on CN today.

Naruto,Dragon ball Z,Bleach,Death Note,and Black Butler.(Anime)
MLP,Annoying orange,adventure time,regular show,Gravity Falls. (Cartoons)
Most of them, I agree with. Except for Death Note. But it's just my opinion.

I haven't seen many Black Butler fans lately.
I have. I know of a group of people in my school who love Black Butler, just because of Sebastian Michaelis.

LordLucario21

Pokemon Veteran
Let's see... My list consists of Adventure Time, Johnny Test, that retarded orange, Regular show, Jimmy Neutron, Gravity Falls, and Fairly Oddparents.

dirkac

I smash your Boxes.
heres one that definately noone mentioned. Pokémon.
Yup. I said it. I'm not saying it's bad, it's just that I can't see it getting popular if it were to be new and it didn't exist now.

Golden_Latias

#SlayQueenSlay
According to this thread, seems like what's "overrated" is basically all modern cartoons, yet I see FAR more love for the '80s and '90s stuff no matter where I go on the Internet. Hmm... :/

MidnightMelody

Hopeful for Gen 8
According to this thread, seems like what's "overrated" is basically all modern cartoons, yet I see FAR more love for the '80s and '90s stuff no matter where I go on the Internet. Hmm... :/

Hipsters Hipsters everywhere!

Klizcool

GARBAGE DAY?!?!
Pokemon

I think that American Dad has gone on for way too long. That and the Total Drama Island series. Whatever happened to Ed Edd N Eddy?

ParaChomp

be your own guru
For anime, I can't get into Lucky Star at all. My friend loves the show, and we've watched it a couple of times at her place, but I was really bored throughout it all. I don't know why. I don't think it has anything to do with it being a Slice of Life. It probably has to do with the life of an otaku, and I don't consider myself an otaku. Though the theme song and dance is just sooooo catchy...
Adapted form a 4 panel gag comic and kept that style. Unlike a few cartoon adaptions of comic strips (Peanuts and Garfield in particular), it didn't work well. It did make me giggle here and there saying "it's so true" but aside from that, it's so bland and I didn't understand the hype. Want a good review of it? Go look up the Lava Buster's review on the Otaku Project. Speaking of him and overrated series, I replied to his review of his favourite Japanese cartoon and told him that its English cast shares an actress with My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic (which he despises, doesn't get the fans, and even did a hilarious "Let's Watch" of the first two episodes). Yeah, I can be such a devil when I want to.

Last edited:

Mr. Reloaded

Cause a pirate is free
Anything from the 90's whether it's a western cartoon, or an anime, receives more praise than any of them deserve.

-Nator-

Anything from the 90's whether it's a western cartoon, or an anime, receives more praise than any of them deserve.

95% of 90s cartoons were spectacular, but that could be because I grew up in the 90s.
Really, it was the early 2000s when cartoons started going downhill.
It's my opinion though.

Spudnugget1

who wants to sing
I would have to agree that the 90s were great, but that's because I idolize Jim Cummings, one of the most versatile cartoon voice actors known to man. Most of the 21st century in general was awful, but it worsened I would say in the latter half.

Zazie

So 1991

I disagree. Most of these shows have been forgotten and get next to no recognition. It's only the handful of them that everyone keeps bringing up. (A lot of times the whole 90s kid thing is more selective memory and/or trying to be cool than actually enjoying cartoons)

Anyway for some 90s cartoons that do belong on here, Rocket Power. It isn't terrible and is kind of a guilty pleasure, but I am utterly shocked that some people legitimately bring this up as the best of "90s cartoons."

Last edited:

Darkazure

Gentle Giant
When it comes to the 90's it inspired many great things that got people into what they like now. Pokemon, yu-gi-oh, DBZ, Toonami, One piece are examples of the best.

Although some shows were better left off the air like time squad, mike lu og, and power rangers.

ParaChomp

be your own guru
I would have to agree that the 90s were great, but that's because I idolize Jim Cummings, one of the most versatile cartoon voice actors known to man. Most of the 21st century in general was awful, but it worsened I would say in the latter half.
He did some of the voices in the Garbage Pail kids movie (sorry, I had to bring it up, I just watched the Nostalgia Critic's top most hated movies that he has reviewed).

Pokemon, Sword Art Online. (anime)

also, My Little Pony.

they be overrated.

(and Pokemon is pretty bad, as well.)

deathseer

Oh, u mad bro?
I have another thought that I think most people will disagree with, but I don't care.

A lot of people seem to put the 90's cartoons on a pedestal, but I don't think they're that great. Sure, there was good stuff back then, but the way people talk about them, you'd think they were masterpieces on the same level of greatness as the classic Disney and Looney Tunes cartoons and, of course, vastly superior to all modern cartoons in every way possible. So, yeah. In a way, I do think 90's cartoons are kind of overrated.

I agree 100%