1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Common Misconceptions.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Discussion' started by Hilda, Jul 6, 2012.

1. Takeo

Takeo Well-Known Member

Hispanic =/= Mexican

2. Judas

Judas Well-Known Member

Earth is not the only planet with water in our solar system.

The majority of the world calls the U.S.A America, even Canadians and Mexicans do. It's not really an arrogant thing, it's just part of the countries name so people say that instead of the entire name or an annoying acronym. People are so quick to call Americans arrogant, they're so quick in fact that they will twist things to make it seem like arrogance when it's simply not. When you ask a British person who someone from the U.S. is they'll call them American, not a "USAn". Same goes for any other person from any other country (if they're speaking English!) But yes, all of America isn't the USA. It's both North and South America.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2012
  3. The Dark Titan

The Dark Titan Well-Known Member

"Xmas" was created to take out the word Christ. In reality, it is a Greek letter that is the start of the Greek word "Christ".

Mexico is in Central America. Central America doesn't actually exist, and Mexico is part of North America, along with the US and Canada.

I'm a Mexican and it's reaaaaally rare that someone calls a person from the USA an American (they do, but they often wince or roll their eyes before or while saying it). Because there is a term in Spanish for people from the US, and that's "Estadounidense", since they are from "Estados Unidos". Also, the most common word is "gringo". And though in English the word is ofensive, in Spanish it doesn't have any negative connotation.

4. Hilda

Hilda Well-Known Member

The whole world calls them Yanks.

5. gpdlt

gpdlt Pokemon Trainer

Africa is a continent, NOT a country.
    Mexico is a part of North America, NOT South America.
    People in Old English periods never pronounced "the" as "ye".
    Bananas do not grow on trees, they grow on flowering herbs.
    Hair and nails do not grow after a person dies. The skin decays and reveals more hair and nails, giving the appearance of growth.
    The Immaculate Conception does not have anything to do with the birth of Jesus, rather, it is the Catholic belief that Mary was not subject to sin from her first moment in existence.
    The Quran does not promise martyrs 72 virgins in heaven.
    Toilet waste is never intentionally dumped overboard from an aircraft.

6. Megaton666

Megaton666 Swampert Trainer

What would you do with 72 virgins, anyway? Play WoW?

7. Shade2000

Shade2000 Shade in Shades

When people say "I'm sweating like a pig" when pigs can't actually sweat.

8. octoboy

octoboy I Crush Everything

Yeah, I'm from Canada, and I call the country United States, and think of America as being the two big continents west of Europe/east of Asia. Also, my parents have been in Britain before and were called Americans, so it's not just people from the country. Pretty much, it comes off as arrogant because calling ones' country what can also be called a pair of continents kind of implies thinking one owns the place.

But I digress.

Family Guy fan, huh?

How about the Seven Deadly Sins not being in the Bible, but priests coming up with it later?

Here's one: birds don't abandon their nests if they smell people. Most of them actually don't have that great a sense of smell. That myth was just made up because it's a less hurtful explanation than "you're a clumsy kid who will probably break the eggs/bird".

Also, beheading her mate isn't a definite mating ritual of the female mantis, and is not required to release the male's sperm. It appears that just happens a lot when humans are watching, either because some of the mantises weren't fed well in captivity, or because being watched makes them nervous.

Aren't there some flatworms that do do that though? Earthworms definitely don't, but I think flatworms might.

If I remember correctly, that's how colour blind humans see, so you could say those animals are colour blind, they just don't see the world as pictured on an old-fashioned television screen.

9. Crimson Penguin

Crimson Penguin Marchin' on

I don't understand why people from the States are considered arrogant for calling themselves Americans. It is part of the country's name, after all, and many people I've encountered abroad called me American, so I'm not too familiar with that ideology.

Hmm, then it seems that the word itself is the misconception. Maybe it should be called "red-blind" or something.

10. Blockmaster

Blockmaster Beep-Boop!

YES YES YES
    I think a lot of people believe this because they also think Middle-East = A continent, but it isn't one.

11. Tyranitarquake

Tyranitarquake HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAX!!!

I'm almost certain that African Wild Dogs have a higher success rate at getting meals than Hyenas. But there's so few Wild Dogs left in the wild that it probably doesn't even matter.

12. Hilda

Hilda Well-Known Member

13. Dr. Leggs

Dr. Leggs Astral Cowboy

This looks like a joke, but your tone suggests otherwise...

14. The Dark Titan

The Dark Titan Well-Known Member

Australia is a continent. In reality, Oceania is the continent-

15. Auraninja

Auraninja Try to understand.

I thought it had more to do with the cyanobacteria.

16. Missingno.Fan

Missingno.Fan Well-Known Member

Dr. Seuss is supposed to be pronounced to rhyme with "voice".

17. Aegon

Aegon Well-Known Member

Are you saying that this is a common misconception, or that other pronunciations are common misconceptions?

18. gpdlt

gpdlt Pokemon Trainer

19. Judas

Judas Well-Known Member

[
    And I repeat "(if they're speaking English!)"
    No, they don't. Only England, New Zealand and Australia use the term "Yank", and I'm sure it's used sparingly in other countries. But then, of course, the term "Yank" for all of Americans is a misconception because it's a term originally used by Southern Americans to describe Northern Americans during the early 1800s. There is no word in English that truely encompasses all of the U.S.A's population besides "American."
    I love the whole "OMG AMERICANS ARE SO ARROGANT AND STUPID BUT I'M JUDGING AN ENTIRE COUNTRY OF NEARLY 400 MILLION PEOPLE BASED ON STEREOTYPES WITH NO TRUTH TO THEM AT ALL! LOL I'M SO CLEVER!" attitude you're giving off. That's a misconception base on America (yet again, coming from you). Never have I met anyone who thought Africa was a country (outside of first grade). I'm pretty sure in any country there are people who think Africa is a country. There are probably people in Asia who think the U.S. is all of North America and people all over Europe, Asia, and Africa that don't know that Mexico is part of North America. It's not an American thing. :/

20. Crimson Penguin

Crimson Penguin Marchin' on

A few American politicians have mistakenly said that Africa is a country. I did a quick Google search, and Rick Santorum and Sarah Palin were among them. And according to Obama, there are 57 states in the Union. But please, let's not judge an entire country on stereotypes and misconceptions, especially when those misconceptions come out of the mouths of politicians.

To contribute to the original topic, Welsh rabbit contains no rabbit, and egg rolls contain no egg.