• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Iris

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nyter

Island Challenger
Out of all the Pokegirls, she was horribly developed (sans Village of Dragons origin story). Her personality sucked. She was always putting Ash down with that "you are such a kid"... uhh duh Bish, he 10 years old like you.

And race is nothing to me in this series. Like, I am glad it is now prevalent than before, such as Lenora, Grant, and Kiawe but I just do not see them as a different race than the other characters.

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
Out of all the Pokegirls, she was horribly developed (sans Village of Dragons origin story). Her personality sucked. She was always putting Ash down with that "you are such a kid"... uhh duh Bish, he 10 years old like you.

And race is nothing to me in this series. Like, I am glad it is now prevalent than before, such as Lenora, Grant, and Kiawe but I just do not see them as a different race than the other characters.

Yeah, anyone bringing race into why we hate Iris is freaking pathetic if you have to go that low you're definitely on the wrong side of the argument. Brock is one of the most popular characters and he ain't white. Even if Iris was a gorgeous white blonde I'd still despise her, it's her character that sucks.
She's a disrespectful hypocrite, had a Dragonite fall into her lap without any work put into it, and her personality didn't suit Cilan and Ash's. They'd have been better off with Hilda.

Akkipeddi

All set to be a nice guy
Yeah, anyone bringing race into why we hate Iris is freaking pathetic if you have to go that low you're definitely on the wrong side of the argument. Brock is one of the most popular characters and he ain't white. Even if Iris was a gorgeous white blonde I'd still despise her, it's her character that sucks.
She's a disrespectful hypocrite, had a Dragonite fall into her lap without any work put into it, and her personality didn't suit Cilan and Ash's. They'd have been better off with Hilda.

Yep, I expressed a similar thought the other day that I really wished Hilda was Ash's travelling companion, and that Iris could have been his rival. And who knows, if she was, since she would have appeared a leseer number of times, they would have actually bothered to give her a Haxorus since the excuse of too hard to animate wouldn't exist. And I'm sure she would have been a way better rival than Trip, who sucked as a character himself.

Janovy

Banned
The only sad part is that you are forced to create fake arguments as for why she's so bad. lmao

If you want to hate her so much, go right ahead. Keep justifying your hatred with your imaginary arguments that have no basis in the actual canon story of BW. :rolleyes:

AshxSatoshi

Ice Aurelia
How ironic the "white blonde" became one the most liked on the show... and I always thought Brock was just a tanned white(Asian?) character not or black just darker than Misty and Ash. And I liked Iris... if they added Hilda it would of been the third generation in a row where they used the MC of the games the anime is based off

Akkipeddi

All set to be a nice guy
How ironic the "white blonde" became one the most liked on the show... and I always thought Brock was just a tanned white(Asian?) character not or black just darker than Misty and Ash. And I liked Iris... if they added Hilda it would of been the third generation in a row where they used the MC of the games the anime is based off

Serena isn't really a full '' white blonde '' unless you're talking about Lillie?

Nyter

Island Challenger
Listen, IF Iris was a bit more mature, then I could see her as part of my top 3 pokegirls overall. Her attitude was what got to me. And if we are going to compare with Serena, Serena had a lot more trial and tribulations to endure than Iris. That, TO ME, is why I like her over Iris, not because she is white.

And I do not completely dislike Iris. There are things about her I actually am pleased with.
Iris' past - the whole Village of Dragons and destined to be Opelucid gym leader is pretty cool to me. It must be the telling of what she is becoming in the BW series. If they would have developed her into the Iris that she becomes in B2W2, She probably would have been my fave of all Pokegirls because she would have showed a tremendous amount of effort into becoming a powerful dragon type trainer. She would have been mature enough stop putting Ash down but yet be that sweet little humble girl she was in B2W2.

Serena I cant compare off the main series game but they handled her better. Her past with Ash, her relationship with Ash, her discovering what she wanyed to be in life, and fighting her own mother for it, her meltdown, etc.

Dragalge

"Orange" Magical Girl
Listen, IF Iris was a bit more mature, then I could see her as part of my top 3 pokegirls overall. Her attitude was what got to me. And if we are going to compare with Serena, Serena had a lot more trial and tribulations to endure than Iris. That, TO ME, is why I like her over Iris, not because she is white.

And I do not completely dislike Iris. There are things about her I actually am pleased with.
Iris' past - the whole Village of Dragons and destined to be Opelucid gym leader is pretty cool to me. It must be the telling of what she is becoming in the BW series. If they would have developed her into the Iris that she becomes in B2W2, She probably would have been my fave of all Pokegirls because she would have showed a tremendous amount of effort into becoming a powerful dragon type trainer. She would have been mature enough stop putting Ash down but yet be that sweet little humble girl she was in B2W2.

Serena I cant compare off the main series game but they handled her better. Her past with Ash, her relationship with Ash, her discovering what she wanyed to be in life, and fighting her own mother for it, her meltdown, etc.

But Iris hardly, if not, ever put Ash down though. She was as sweet as most other Pokegirls. (◡‿◡✿)

Nyter

Island Challenger
But Iris hardly, if not, ever put Ash down though. She was as sweet as most other Pokegirls. (◡‿◡✿)

When it came to Pokemon yes (except Ice types). But towards Ash or even sometimes Cilan... not really. I remember the episode in Decolora Islands where Ash and Iris argued. I felt Ash did more to try and attempt to mend their rift than Iris did. Sadly, I find this the mosy accuraye because Iris did not cone off as the type of person to apologize for her wrongdoings first (except when it came to Pokemon).

Dragalge

"Orange" Magical Girl
When it came to Pokemon yes (except Ice types). But towards Ash or even sometimes Cilan... not really. I remember the episode in Decolora Islands where Ash and Iris argued. I felt Ash did more to try and attempt to mend their rift than Iris did. Sadly, I find this the mosy accuraye because Iris did not cone off as the type of person to apologize for her wrongdoings first (except when it came to Pokemon).

She dressed up in rock star clothing and cheered on Ash like crazy in the Roxie gym battle and loved how Ash cared for Tepig when it was injured. Oh yeah that is totally putting someone down.

mystic9899

Pokemon fan
i found iris alright, but i would have preferred if at the end, she went to train under drayden and maybe even succeed his position as the opelucid gym leader.

Nyter

Island Challenger
She dressed up in rock star clothing and cheered on Ash like crazy and loved how Ash cared for Tepig when it was injured. Oh yeah that is totally putting someone down.

Yes telling him he is such a kid when he made the slightest mistakes, Arceus forbid he makes a mistake because he is human. And LIKE I SAID, when it came to Pokemon, she is very sweet and supportive, like the Tepig he cared for or cheering on his Pokemon to win the battles because she has somewhat a relationship with them (especially her Axew and his Scraggy). But to Ash directly, very few times was she sweet with him. Idk but their chemistry was nothing like his and Dawn or Serena was.

Janovy

Banned
Yes telling him he is such a kid when he made the slightest mistakes, Arceus forbid he makes a mistake because he is human. And LIKE I SAID, when it came to Pokemon, she is very sweet and supportive, like the Tepig he cared for or cheering on his Pokemon to win the battles because she has somewhat a relationship with them (especially her Axew and his Scraggy). But to Ash directly, very few times was she sweet with him. Idk but their chemistry was nothing like his and Dawn or Serena was.
Friends tease each other.

Iris and Ash had a good friendship, but for whatever reason people can't see past her stupid catchphrase.

IMO, Iris had a better friendship than Serena with Ash. Serena spent most of her time on the sidelines idolizing Ash than she did actually having fun with him and being friends.

I do think that Ash and Dawn had the best friendship out of all companions.

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
Friends tease each other.

Iris and Ash had a good friendship, but for whatever reason people can't see past her stupid catchphrase.

IMO, Iris had a better friendship than Serena with Ash. Serena spent most of her time on the sidelines idolizing Ash than she did actually having fun with him and being friends.

I do think that Ash and Dawn had the best friendship out of all companions.
Yeah, it just made everything awkward and made Serena look like she was nothing but shipping and background fodder, sadly :/

Oh and totally agree with Dawn and Ash having the best friendship.

Spyro39

Geez, calling Ash a kid was a harmless tease, not an insult to his character. All of her cheering and supporting for Ash's Gym Battles were towards him too alongside his Pokemon. I can tell the many times Iris cared for Ash as a friend. Do you honestly think that just because they bickered with each other more than Dawn and Serena, you think she wasn't sweet enough to him?

Last edited:

Swagga09

I loved Iris. She was the first female lead since Misty who actually wanted to get in on some of the action

Pikachu979

Sinnoh Champion
Honestly Ash wasn't to bothered by her teasing. Honestly if they weren't friends and Iris doesn't consider him a friend like people are saying then why did they travel together? Its not like the other couldn't leave. So they have to care about each other.

DatsRight

Wasn't Ash usually the straight man by the last half of the series anyway? One of Ash's best moments was not only overpowering Dragonite with Charizard, but correcting Iris about Charizard not being a Dragon-type. Even Axew laughed at her. He didn't go out of the way to make her look stupid but the look on his face as he got out his 'dex "Yeah, not such a kid now huh?" XD

Looking back at some episodes, I do notice that yeah, Iris could be really smug (and the dub REALLY punctuated it) so I can see why she got some people's nerves, but at least her pomposity was an intentional vice. The anime world is ripe with female characters who are ten times the smug, arrogant bullying little squirts Iris could EVER be and we're supposed to think they're little sweeties.

Last edited:

satopi

Life doesn’t end, …it changes.
So calling him a kid is the worst offense to his character? That's degrading his character? Ash, a 10 year old boy is being degraded by a 10 year old girl because she called him a kid multiple times. By the way, Iris was right in calling him a kid the first few times for forgetting how to catch a Pokémon.

Iris has shown many times before she cared for Ash and viewed him as her equal, don't you remember the early episodes where she kept following him without giving him a reason on why she's following him and instead tried to turn the table by saying he was following her. Or what about when Ash was battling Dento, there was an blatant bias where Iris was the only one showing interest in Ash and on the other side, Dento had a bunch of fangirls cheering him on. What about the time they went to the hot springs together and before the gorge busted out hot water, she saved him. Remember as time went by, Ash started being influenced by Iris and started swinging vines with her and believed in her sixth sense/spiritual beliefs while Dento disregarded it as it's not logical nor backed by science.

She doesn't have to be complimenting him on everything, barely have any fights or arguments, nor give him highfives to have a good chemistry with him. Children tease each other and get into petty dumb arguments all the time while also opening up to each other, getting annoyed at each other, and supporting one another as a small remark isn't the end to a lasting friendship. Isn't teasing also another way of children liking each other?

Status
Not open for further replies.