• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Mega Evolutions Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

EonDragonFTW

This statement made me think of something...doesn't a substitute doll look vaguely like a baby kangaskhan? What if the baby kangaskhan is the actual pokemon while the mother is just a giant substitute created by it to defend its weak self? I mean it will explain why only the baby changes when it mega evolves...

That would be weird if it was true, but I think you're overthinking it.

Nyarlathotep

Eldritch Abomination
I am fairly sure that at least the three Kalos starters are getting mega evolutions. Besides them, only older Pokémon are getting this treatment, methinks.

GatedSunOne

Like A Rockefeller
As I told Lollipiece, there is NO reason for why they would reveal a Mega Pokemon for 6th generation at this moment.

We technically don't even know if any of the revealed Pokemon we have are fully evolved.

Sure we can guess on Gogoat, Noivern, Talonflame, But there is still no guarantee.

So even then unless one of the current Pokemon did have a Mega evolution, they are still aren't going to reveal it.

Past generation Pokemon make sense, because they were revealed a long time ago.

They aren't going to reveal a Mega Fully Evolved Froakie, when Fully Evolved Froakie hasn't been revealed yet.

...No offense, but this here is a person who didn't read the following posts I made--where I slightly changed my stance on the matter and warned myself against this mindset.

I'm well aware of trying to decide things too early. Six posts down from that comment, I made a reply to someone else here that read a little something like the following.

...That's my reasoning against gen Six Megas, too. At least for now.

Though at THIS POINT, not even the sky's the limit at Game Freak. Two of the most unlikely changes in this franchise happened in just a single Generation this time around (A New Type, and a mechanic that grants certain pokemon "new evolutions" regardless of Legendary or max-evolution status); so trying to assume even this is a huge risk! XD

...As you now, hopefully, realize.

DCFan

The Flame Jacobite
As I told Lollipiece, there is NO reason for why they would reveal a Mega Pokemon for 6th generation at this moment.

We technically don't even know if any of the revealed Pokemon we have are fully evolved.

Sure we can guess on Gogoat, Noivern, Talonflame, But there is still no guarantee.

So even then unless one of the current Pokemon did have a Mega evolution, they are still aren't going to reveal it.

Past generation Pokemon make sense, because they were revealed a long time ago.

They aren't going to reveal a Mega Fully Evolved Froakie, when Fully Evolved Froakie hasn't been revealed yet.

I think that Mega Yveltal and Mega Xerneas would be fricking fantastic in my opinion :D

Takaru

Werk, Werk, Werk
I hope Butterfree gets a Mega Evolution. The lack of Special Bug-types is so under whelming. Quiver Dance + Compoundeyes Sleep Powder would make it such a nice Pokemon.

FlySolo

Except that argument isn't valid.

These Pokemon didn't just show up magically in the Pokemon world, they've always existed in the Kalos region just as long as Pikachu has in Kanto. They may be new from the perspective of player and designers, but not from the perspective of the Pokemon world.

It makes no sense, that a scientist would uncover a mega evolution to a Pokemon that's not even native to the region, and yet not find a single Kalos 6th gen Pokemon that has a Mega Evolution.

This method isn't designed to give older Pokemon some extra attention, perhaps slightly, but it was created because scientists found a way how some Pokemon can change their form and get a boost in strength, as a result of a mega stone. It doesn't make any sense that not a single 6th generation would be applicable in that instance. Just because it is new for me or you.

I didn't think of this, but you have a really good point. I think with that being said, the starters make perfect candidates for the Mega form.

Trainer Yusuf

VolcaniNO
Last edited:

DCFan

The Flame Jacobite

dman_dustin

So somebody posted this on 4chan: According to Hirobyte, many Pokémon will get mega evolutions, but only fully evolved ones

If that's true, that's disappointing.

I fully expected certain not fully evolved Pokemon to get Mega evolutions simply because they were popular enough.

Hmm.

I'm going to guess (if it's many): 102 Mega evolutions, 17 (1 per type) per generation.

Or 60. 10 per generation.

Edit: There should at least be one for every type, so a minimum of 17.

GatedSunOne

Like A Rockefeller
it'll still rest for only 1 turn, why would you think otherwise?
unless the ability doubles the negative effects then i dont see it resting for 2 turns

The same reason why moves such as Rain Dance, Trick Room, Sunny Day, etc. are advertised with a single line of explanation in game, yet have a plethora of side-effects not mentioned outside a quick Google Search and a few in-game NPCs: because it'd make things more interesting--and possibly more unexpected, as well.

Whether the infant's attack is of exact power of the parent is negotiable, but I don't see why the former's attacks wouldn't toss up the same mechanics of its parent. Too early to say for sure, of course; but unless the baby's attacks only pin on a percentage of set damage (such as Future Sight, and Doom Desire too if I remember correctly), it'd fit the bill for being too powerful for a Normal Kangaskhan and confirm the need of slapping it behind the restrictions of a Mega Evolution.

...Again, we won't know for sure just yet.

MastersOfMonsters

~Yaoi FanBoy~
If that's true, that's disappointing.

I fully expected certain not fully evolved Pokemon to get Mega evolutions simply because they were popular enough.

Hmm.

I'm going to guess (if it's many): 102 Mega evolutions, 17 (1 per type) per generation.

Or 60. 10 per generation.

Edit: There should at least be one for every type, so a minimum of 17.

Aren't there 18 types now?

jake279

Ice Master
Mega Kangaskhan doesn't look very mega. It looks exactly the same. This is a cheap cop-out from giving it' a real pre-evolution because it's baby is involved. I'm not impressed.

I love the idea of Mega-evolutions but I feel like they're choosing all the wrong pokemon to give them too and it's really frustrating!

Mawile, Absol and baby Kangaskhan should have just been regular permanent evolutions/pre-evolutions.

Il Sire

So somebody posted this on 4chan: According to Hirobyte, many Pokémon will get mega evolutions, but only fully evolved ones. He also says Scizor will be one of them.

Not sure how legitimate this is and how accurate the translation is, but hey, Spanish speaking people can ask him. Also, here are the rest of his posts(in the thread I guess).

Edit: Nevermind, it seems legitimate.

That's odd, i would have bet Pikachu to get his own Megaform, just to put Raichu more in the shadows.

FlyAsADunsparce

I'm guess that the ones that'll be getting a mega evolution are the ones that :

1. are non legendary;
2. are not a regional rodent/bird/pikachu-clone;
3. aren't part of a duo like Volbeat/Illumise, Lunatone/Solrock, Nidoking/Nidoqueen etc. or trio for example the elemental monkeys, the Hitmons ;
4. don't have complicated evolutionary lines like the Eevee-line, Snorunt-line, Ralts-line, Oddish-line, Nincada-line, Poliwag-line, Slowpoke-line, Wurmple-line etc.;
5. don't already have alternate formes or major gender/area differences like Castform, Cherrim, Rotom, Unfezant, Gastrodon, Hippowdon, Wormadam etc.;
6. are not gimmicky like Smeargle, Ditto, Chatot, Unown etc. ;
7. are not fossil-pokémon.

There will still be a lot of pokémon left after that. I also think that all the starters will get a Mega Evolution, including Raichu.

MastersOfMonsters

~Yaoi FanBoy~
Mewtwo is legendary and it got a MegaEvo, though. ^^

EDIT: Wait, read your post wrong, nevermind.

Also, I'm expecting about 15-25 Megas, personally.

Sound

Mega Kangaskhan doesn't look very mega. It looks exactly the same. This is a cheap cop-out from giving it' a real pre-evolution because it's baby is involved. I'm not impressed.

I love the idea of Mega-evolutions but I feel like they're choosing all the wrong pokemon to give them too and it's really frustrating!

Mawile, Absol and baby Kangaskhan should have just been regular permanent evolutions/pre-evolutions.

Baby Kangaskhan would have been another useless baby pokemon. Mega-Khan, on the other hand, is an interesting and unexpected concept that still makes perfect sense.

Mega-Evos aren't evos because there isn't any straight up growth, simply powering up. You can't say a normal evolution would have been better until we know all the details of mega evolutions.

GatedSunOne

Like A Rockefeller
So somebody posted this on 4chan: According to Hirobyte, many Pokémon will get mega evolutions, but only fully evolved ones. He also says Scizor will be one of them.

Not sure how legitimate this is and how accurate the translation is, but hey, Spanish speaking people can ask him. Also, here are the rest of his posts(in the thread I guess).

Edit: Nevermind, it seems legitimate.

...The fact that Absol, Kangaskhan, Mewtwo and Mawile have Mega Evolutions now throws a massive wrench in this piece of info. Unless Hiro meant the remaining candidates for Mega-Evos are all final-formed.

That's why I can't fully get this guy. If this is legit, he knew this entire time but only said a word of it once it came out. This probably traces back to the time he decided not to open his mouth (or, er, his keyboard in this case) about new XY info because of the apparent backlash he got of folks not believing him...

FramesTowers

Noob shiny seeker
I just want a Mega Starmie. If Gamefreak gives us Mega Starmie I'm going to monthly send them a $100 check with a red lipstick kiss.

Status
Not open for further replies.