• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official New and Improved General Shiny Thread

JohnNiles

To add on to this, I was challenged to a triple battle the other day by someone on PSS named Victor. All was well and good until he sent out a shiny Serperior. My Mawile with Intimidate was sent out shortly after, and instead of being lowered, Serperior's Attack ROSE. Meaning it had Contrary, its unreleased Hidden Ability. I was furious and I quit the battle.

I don't know if it was hacked in Gen V or with the new way to hack in Gen VI, but it makes me really angry that people out there are cheating with unreleased Pokemon; it takes all of the fun out of Pokemon for those of us who play fair. I wonder if those hacked abilities can get into the Battle Spot. I sure hope not.

This is exactly what happened to me, except that I didn't realize what was wrong at first, so I let the battle play out (losing, mostly because of that stupid Serperior). If I had figured it out, I would have pulled the plug.

These people disgust me. I don't bother accepting random requests anymore, unless I need to check my egg count.

As for actual relevant news, I did hatch a shiny Scyther a couple of days ago. It was actually my 2nd attempt- too bad neither of them have Technician and neither of their stat spreads are optimal. But I've held off on seeing Scizor shiny form for long enough. The color scheme is actually very nice compared to 4th/5th gen, though unfortunately I can't say the same for its mega form's colors.

I also picked up a few shinies from friend safaris. I'm actually very lazy when it comes to hunting in them, despite their high success rate. I usually get them when EV training.
3/13 - Pancham - while EV training for Attack. Adamant synch actually worked for once.
3/15 - Mawile - while messing around. I finally got to see its shiny mega form with my own eyes.
3/18 - Aipom - while EV training for HP and leveling off Audinos. It has Pickup, so I'll add it to my Ambipom farming team.

It's been two or three thousand eggs since the last shiny, though I hatched a lot of non-MM eggs for setup purposes. I passed the 16k egg mark a few days ago. I'm a little unsure about what to do next. I'm still trying to hatch a shiny Pikachu so I can complete Red's team. That's not a very good team for playing other people, but I'm doing it for sentimental reasons and I won't need to burden myself with expectations.

edit: I see there's been some discussion about shiny hacks. I have traded a few FS and dud MM shinies away- but only to people already on my friends list who have a request bubble up. I wouldn't trade them to random people because I don't want people hounding me forever.

Last edited:

LLR

Vivillon Trader
HOORAY Community Hunt Complete:

Snakes: Seviper caught in horde.

Green: Spinda caught in horde last night.

Bird: Tranquil female (I was hoping for a male) from friend safari.

I didn't keep track of sweet scents or RE's or hours. I know I started March 1 and have been pretty much hunting 2-6 hours a day since.

Last edited:

maldoror

I just found a RE shiny Throh while hunting for Dedenne/Staravia. With the two I caught on my White 2 game I can start a small army.

Scrufox86

Hi all. Well I couldn't believe it but after I posted about my shiny Growlithe.... just a few more encounters and I got my target shiny from the safari.... shiny Pyroar! And the cute charm female Clefairy worked and so I got a MALE one just as I wanted. Not bothered about nature and IV's this is not going to be competitive.

Also Just now I was in a grass safari just trying to get a shiny of each possible grass pokemon in friend safari and I find a shiny Tangela! I wanted that or Maractus so I am currently still there REing for the Maractus but if I get a different shiny then I will leave and maybe MM a maractus another time. For now though I will continue until I get at least one more friend safari shiny and then I think it'll be time to go back to hatching the eggs I still have 12 boxes to hatch.

Congrats to all new shinies since my last post and good luck to all shiny hunters!

Everlasting

Everything stays.
Also Just now I was in a grass safari just trying to get a shiny of each possible grass pokemon in friend safari and I find a shiny Tangela!

ggngnghhgn *jealous*. Congrats on Pyroar and Tangela! :D

FOURTH shiny Quilladin popped out this morning. Didn't even bother to look at it too much; the Quiet synchronizer worked and has a perfect IV in Speed. Off you go to Wonder Trade! Now Tangela, would you please be the next ? I'm not asking you to be quick, I want you to be the next to shine!
Onto phase 6 for Tangela! I also have nothing to report on my Mudkip hunt, but I'll try to work on that as well real soon. I'm pretty much glued on Tangela actually. It bothers me somehow.

Good luck everyone, especially Supremacy on Litleo/Scatterbug, Cpchris on Growlithe and your BQs and TheMaster327 on those birds! Don't give up!

Kunazami

Oh my god..I seriously can't believe my luck just now! After encountering a shiny eevee in the Friend Safari yesterday I've spent all deciding what to evolve him into and decided Umbreon. ^^ So I'm in the same Friend Safari levelling my eevee and what do I find..? Another shiny eevee! xD I'm so happy right now! I've always wanted a shiny eevee, and now I've got two within 24hrs of one another. xD

Spacial

procrastination
I recently found a shiny Larvesta randomly in the Friend Safari, my first Kalos shiny that is actually mine (own OT) and it also has an IV in Sp. Atk! Although it has a Careful nature so the 2 cancel each other out... I've just decided to keep it as a trophy but I'm still happy about my shiny

professorj15

Congrats to everyone on their shinies!

Quick update from me: I'm away on a work-related trip, so I figured I could do some chaining on the plane ride. Managed to find a shiny Scyther at a chain of 40! Relatively superior, perfect IVs in Speed (yay!!) and Defense, and Hasty nature (which cancels out the perfect defense, lol). The purple flowers, for whatever reason, are the hardest for me to personally chain in, and this hunt for Scyther has ended in several failures, so I'm glad I was finally able to snag her. I want to nickname her something flight related, so if any of you have potential nicknames, please share!

On the plane back, I may consider doing an easier chain for Smeargle, or I'm thinking of Houndour or Hawlucha. Once I get home, I'll resume my MMs for Vulpix and Ghastly. Good luck everyone!!!

cryuel

Congrats to everyone on their awesome Shinies!! :)

Finally, after having set the ridiculous goal of seeing and owning every Shiny Kalos Pokemon in Gen 6, I'm proud to say I've completed the "Shiny Kalos Challenge" I set upon myself - through vigorous radaring, trading my radar bounties only to then replenish my radar Shinies, MMing, and no small portion of Safari luck - with my now 66/66 Gen 6 Shinies! :D

Off to the next goal I guess, Shiny Vivillon Hunting~ Already have 10, so I guess only 8 more to go. ^_^
(If you have any, do PM me! :) )

Good luck everyone in the meantime~

Last edited:

maldoror

Well, my incredibly long drought on White 2 has ended with a shiny Boldore after 30,000+ encounters. I was looking for Eelectrik, I would have loved this Boldore six months ago, but now I have five Roggenrolla I have found in Y. I also found another shiny Hoppip.

{edit} I just found a shiny Murkrow while training my Litleo!

Last edited:

Blastonite

Dream Crusher
In an exercise of insanity I did the save bull**** infront of Zapdos until I got one that was shiney. Happened to be Timid too. =)

Also simply because I want them to fix it... I tested what others in the thread were saying about hacked Pokemon and the PokeBank. The hack detection is outright bad, you can get a lot by it atm.

The unofficial fix is them shutting down the WIFI for the older games like they are doing. Unfortunately the hacked mons will stay in. But yea. No more hacked mons after the 20th? When the WIFI for older games goes down.

pokemaster13

Shiny Hunter!
Congrats to maldoror on Litleo, Throh, and Boldore, Alfred Jones on Volbeat, Thunder09 on Audino, Supremacy on Caterpie, Sandman on Zapdos, Keovix on Regice, Manakete-Girl on Mareep, JohnNiles on Scyther, Pancham, Mawile, and Aipom, llr on Seviper, Spinda, and Tranquil, Scrufox86 on Pyroar and Tangela, Kunazami on Eevee x2, Ponymon on Larvesta, and professorj15 on Scyther!

I was doing some more EV training today, and I bumped into a second shiny Skorupi! I really wish it had been a Bellsprout though... Oh well, can't complain about a random shiny!

Good luck everyone!

ohjeezitskim

Well I hatched 270 more eggs, and wouldn't you guess it?!
Still no luck for shiny gligar ;-;
This has been my longest hunt (MM) to date.

Last highest was Cottonee @1,237 (Eevee was higher but it was an on and off hunt and I don't have exact numbers)
This hunt is driving me mad, but I'm at least having luck with getting a lot of pokemon for my trade shop, and I think
that thought is the only thing keeping me sane in pokemon xD

Today's hatches: 270 eggs
Overall total: 1,810 eggs / 60.3 boxes worth

Also did a few hours worth in my SS badge quest, I think I'm at about 11 hours since my last shiny (Rattata) really hoping for Drowzee, since I'd die on the inside if I didn't catch abra on the first and only ultra ball lol

Congrats to everyone's new shinies and good luck to those ongoing hunts!

sdotj

Congrats on all the recent shinies everyone!!

To me, hacking shinies is soo stupid. Yeah it's "shiny" but what joy do you get out of a hacked shiny??? Achieving a shiny randomly or hatching a good competitive one gives you a great feeling, so why hack? I hope people can no longer cheat their shinies in when the WiFi for old games goes off.
---
My hunt for my smeargle MM started today and I hatched 120 eggs today. Hope it shines soon, and it better be moody!

Good luck to everyone else!!

Supremacy

Shiny Hunter
Dangit, I'm getting the wrong damn worms! Lmao.

This shone after only 1.3k REs, it's nice to see I'm getting some quick hunts after Fennekin. This is actually my first shiny Weedle, so it's atleast not a repeat shiny and I've always wanted a shiny Beedrill so I'm happy. :]

Third times the charm, so cmon Scatterbug! Gratz on the recent shinies and good luck everyone.

Edit: just realized, 2 full odds shinies in 1 day. Goml!?

Last edited:

Vaksa

Shiny Hunter
Finally hatched a shiny Gastly after 358 eggs! This was my longest hunt so far, so I think I'm not having the worst luck, at least. Anyway, she has a Timid nature and 4 perfect IVS, with the flaws being in Attack and Hp. I would have liked Hp to be perfect too, but oh well, this will do. I think that I'll resume my Hawlucha MM next, since I stopped that at 180 eggs to hunt Gastly.

I was away for a couple weeks to take care of finals, and some minor health issues, but now I'm on spring break so I should have plenty of time to hunt. So congratulations to everyone who's completed a hunt in the time I was gone, and good luck to everyone on their current hunts. :3

Edit: I just had to get around to releasing 20 boxes of leftovers from MM hunts, and can I just say that I find that more annoying than hatching eggs! Also I think the friend safari has something against me because I have yet to find a shiny in there, despite my efforts.

Last edited:

Cpchris

Shiny Hunter
Congrats to maldoror on Litleo, Alfred Jones on Volbeat, Supremacy on Caterpie, 5andman on Zapdos, Keovix on Regice, JohnNiles on Scyther, maldoror on Throh, maldoror on Boldore, pokemaster13 on Skorupi, Supremacy on Weedle, Vaksa on Gastly, and everyone else on your shinies!

-----------

Still hunting for my second badge quest shiny and almost at the odds now. Yay.
It seems like it's taking longer because I'm normally in Sprout Tower and it takes longer to encounter a pokemon there, so I'm starting to question my decisions.

I’m hunting in Sprout Tower on my BQ as well and I’m definitely ready to leave this stupid place >.< It almost makes me wonder if I’d have been better off leaving my Bellossom with Sweet Scent to get faster encounters.

------------

Thanks, The Prince of May :)

Did more hunting than I’ve done in a while today. 800 SRs and 1,000 REs…Even did 40 SRs for Snivy. Giratina’s now hit 3x the odds at 24,900 SRs, Growlithe is at 3,700 REs, and Rattata sitting at 10,000 REs.

Even though I found a shiny a week ago, considering it was a shiny I already had 5 of (and not one I’m too fond of at that), it feels like I’ve been shiny-less since my Oddish nearly a month ago =\ I just really want to see one of my targets shine again.

Good luck, everyone!

Illusione-Tempus

Oh hacking shinies. I only do that on an emulator. They're so pretty to play with. Look at that beautiful golden Arceus. <3

But really, I only hack to see the pretty unobtainable by normal means shinies in my not-real save files. I'd never hack for abilities. Or for competitive play. That's just wrong. D<

Anyway, congratulations on recent shinies. And CrimsonPenguin, I expect you to find a shiny HA Purrloin. I searched for one just for you. <3

And good luck on the still ongoing hunts. I know there's a lot of them, and I'm not going to mention each of them.

So right now, as my PC is nearly full, I decided to just catch Vivillons and put them on the GTS for legendaries. I got a shiny Landorus for one, Modest with decent IVs, so I bet it's not a hacked/RNG'd one. Cloned maybe, but at least not any of those two.

Now I just need a Tornadus. But I don't want to restart BW for the love of my life. Too many painful memories.

Cyberra

pain in the ***
I seem to be on a roll in Black 2 again.

After only 365 eggs, shiny mienfoo!

[IMG139]http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s225/Primus001/Shiny%20Pokemon/Picture6248_zps4a5ce1c6.jpg[/IMG139]

I'm already up in Nimbasa at the sports domes to get her leveled up. Can't wait to see my shiny mienshao :D She's Adamant, so she'll be a beast of a physical attacker ^_^

Next MM target: Growlithe

I'm having less luck in Y... My golett MM is at 710 eggs and counting.

Ze DreamGirl

Future Vaporeon
Got lucky with Masuda Method two days ago and hatched a shiny Jolly Rufflet...And now I am breeding Gastlys...I'll retry with Riolu later on...