• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Mega Evolutions Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Endolise

TengenToppaBoogaloo
Mega Evolution is going to have to provide a really substantial boost in order for it to be practical if it requires a turn to activate.

It does not use up a turn. You can still attack after Mega Evolving.

Akashin

Am I wrong, I don't believe your pokemon will switch abilities when it mega evolves because you need a pokemon with the mega stone and the special ability right? Like you can only evolve this special speed boost Blaziken and not your regular Blaziken right?

No, they do switch abilities. Blaziken aside, they all have abilities that the original form doesn't even have access to, so the predecessor having the ability its Mega Evolved self will have doesn't work.

Unless that's not what you were asking. If so, my bad.

Avi604

Reef Trainer
No, they do switch abilities. Blaziken aside, they all have abilities that the original form doesn't even have access to, so the predecessor having the ability its Mega Evolved self will have doesn't work.

Unless that's not what you were asking. If so, my bad.
No that's exactly what I was asking, thanks.

BurningWhiteKyurem

Mega Evolution is going to have to provide a really substantial boost in order for it to be practical if it requires a turn to activate.

It's also going to limit its usefulness even further on weaker Pokemon, as while stronger Pokemon like Lucario and Blaziken can scare an opponent into switching and provide a chance for them to evolve safely, something like Mawile isn't going to have such a luxury nearly as often.

It doesn't take up a turn.

But Mawile having a Steel typing and mega-evolving into a Steel/Fairy type can certain wall dragons (assuming they don't think she has Mega stone) until a better match-up shows up.

R_N

But Mawile having a Steel typing and mega-evolving into a Steel/Fairy type can certain wall dragons (assuming they don't think she has Mega stone) until a better match-up shows up.

Mawile is Steel/Fairy period, not just as Mega

Akashin

Mawile has Fairy typing before Mega Evolving though, does it not?

Edit: Ninja'd

Emily101

Froakie Trainer
You do not lose a turn.. you can use a move the same turn, before or after evolving.

Could you link to me where this has been confirmed?

Avi604

Reef Trainer

Regular Mawile was already retyped to steel/fairy not just the mega form.

mykalriley

@pump_upp - best crypto pumps on telegram !
People here just don't have a sense of humor. It does make one wonder if there's even a point in having the smilies...

I seriously doubt Mega Evolutions are going to 'destroy the metagame' or anything extreme like that. It'll change the metagame, but not destroy it. Really, it reminds me more of Limit Breaks or Burst Mode that you see in a lot of RPGs nowadays. Or if you want to go to the extreme, the Super Saiyans from Dragonball Z. Ironic that they would bring in these Mega Evolutions almost immediately after I joked about Pokémon Z being the third game in this gen over at the other site. But yeah. A character gets supercharged temporarily and can unleash big attacks during the phase. And since it seems like most Pokémon (if not all) are going to have access to this, I don't think it'll mess up the balance of the metagame any more than it is already messed up.

Some people just seem to complain because they have nothing better to do. Now don't get me wrong. If there turns out to be a major mechanical flaw in this concept when the games come out, then at least there'll be something constructive to complain about. But don't just say 'it's gonna ruin the metagame, oh noes' without knowing everything about how it's going to work.

Absolutely.. I agree.. I suppose I wanted to clarify also, I wasn't pointing fingers at any particular user or post, just something that I've noticed in general while reading through countless ( ok not countless 2000+ here and over 200 in mega) posts over the last few weeks... ( it was fairy disagreement before it was mega)

I, personally, can't and don't complain about things such as EV's, competitive battling or the meta game.. And truth be told the reason I DON'T, is because I've never taken the time to break down ev's, I don't battle competitively, and as far as the meta game is concerned, I can't even honestly say I fully understand that either...

What I do know, is that I have been a fan of the franchise since I was a kid.. ( im 28 as of next saturday) and have always enjoyed them.. Have there been mechanics that I haven't enjoyed? absolutely... ( im not one for the mini games and such, like the pokestudio) Are there pokemon designs that I dont like? More than I can count lol.. ( garbador and vanilluxe lines... as well as the dragons.. ) But.. even with all that.. I continue to buy the games... and play them.. and enjoy them.. because even with the things that i dont like, i still all these years later, find the basic concept of capturing and raising monsters.. fantastic..

so bring it on...

thats all i suppose... meh

Emily101

Froakie Trainer
Pokejungle's liveblog

So it's Mega Evolve then attack right away? Or attack and then Mega Evolve? Or either of your choice? I would have preferred if it took a turn to Mega Evolve but I have faith that GF won't make it OP (I hope)

Rakurai

I guess that if you still need to actually get a chance to act in order to Mega Evolve, that pretty much rules out trying to use something like Mawile as a defensive switch-in against something, as it'll get owned by even resisted attacks with how low its HP and defenses are prior to evolving.

Though even if it does get a chance to evolve, I doubt it's going to be able to hassle dragons much considering that most of them pack a fire or ground type move.

Ditto24

I guess that if you still need to actually get a chance to act in order to Mega Evolve, that pretty much rules out trying to use something like Mawile as a defensive switch-in against something, as it'll get owned by even resisted attacks with how low its HP and defenses are prior to evolving.

Though even if it does get a chance to evolve, I doubt it's going to be able to hassle dragons much considering that most of them pack a fire or ground type move.

Hard to believe that 24 hours ago people were saying Megas would be OP...

It is interesting as to how it will work though, will the evolution have priority or will it still be based on the Pokemons Speed stat?

Emily101

Froakie Trainer
Woah Pikachu will have it's anime cry in game? Um now I have to use a Pikachu! I have to reserve a team slot for Pikachu and Torchic (for Mega Blaziken) now plus a starter (Froakie)... Jeez I only get to take another 3 Kalos Pokemon on my team! It's a good problem to have though ^^

Ugh, I'm not too thrilled about Pikachu having its anime cry. It's not a giant deal or anything, but I hope we have the option of turning on its regular cry instead, because that will annoy me.

Lykouros

Sandslash fan
May I ask where Pikachu's cry is heard that it is just like the anime?

Status
Not open for further replies.